Need a basic logo design for under $10
Just as a quick experiment, we tweeted about the graphic above and documented the reactions. The tweet said “Is the graphic bad enough or can we make it worse?” And the reactions were mind-boggling.
For the purpose of simplicity, I will refer to design in general as logo design.
To everyone looking to get logo designs for under/around $10: Why do you value your requirement so low?
My question is… why would you waste those $10 as well? Get yourself a trial copy of photoshop and make the logo yourself.
Trust me, it’s going to be just as good and FREE!
Value the experience
I understand that as a startup, one will mostly be short of funds and that is fair, completely!
Will you go to a jeweler and ask to buy a piece of gold jewelry for $10, whose real value is more than $10,000, just because you’re a startup? I doubt that!
Design comes from knowledge, practice, experience and NOT just knowledge itself.
When Picasso explained the value of experience
Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a bold woman approached him. “It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.”
So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the women his work of art.
“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”
“Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied. “B-b-but, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”
To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.”
I have two quick suggestions for startups:
- Either don’t bother about design at the very start. Focus on selling. (I’m saying that as a designer & entrepreneur)
- If you do bother about design, stop undervaluing your requirements and demeaning the value addition which design brings to the table.
Am I saying that startups that cannot afford an experienced designer should not bother about design?
Not at all! If I have it my way, I would want every individual (and startup) to notice and understand the value of Logo Design. My request is to stop undervaluing it!
Is there a solution?
Sure, there are many! And their application will differ in situation and requirement.
Taking the same gold example, I have known people who will not buy fake jewelry. Instead, they invest in savings, to be able to own a gold piece.
- So may be, you could initiate without design application and invest later in applying design, the right way.
- Alternatively, bring some value addition to the table, if not hard cash. The value additions could be equity options, barter of services and more.
- Pay in parts – where a part of the total sum is paid as advance and remaining sum in parts, divided over next few months.
We hope this is helpful to both designers and the startups/individuals requiring their services. We’re open to a discussion in the comments below. Awaiting to read your reactions, comments and suggestions.